
Yep... That's right... Calder broke his arm
He has a buckle fracture in the right mid-distal end of his radius.
We have had quite the month with this kiddo. The first week of December Calder's right elbow was dislocated. I can't even say how it happened because it was the worst Mommy moment for me ever! But if you really want to know give me a call and I will tell you the horror but now comical story.

About 5 days after the dislocation Calder had a collision and fell hard to the ground. Neither Mikey or I saw the fall but his cry was so different that I didn't even recognize that it was Calder that was crying. He was acting the exact same way as he did when his elbow was dislocated so our immediate reaction was that he had done it again. He would not move his arm and if you tried to move it for him he was in sure pain and agony. Because it happened on a Saturday night we jumped in the car and headed up to Primarys. But on our way past my work, Calder said "look Mommy's work." pointing out the window with the bad arm. After consulting with Dr. John and Nurse Kel we decided to wait until morning to take him in.

He seemed ok but not great and we kept questioning whether to take him in but then he'd surprise us and act fine, using it well and pretty normal except to bare weight fully. By the 5th day into our questioning of what was going on with this poor kiddo and his wrist. I took him into my clinic and had 2 physical therapist (one being a hand and wrist specialist) and also a orthopedic doctor look at him. Just like Calder had done with us he tricked them as well as they looked at it and saw how much he was using it. The ortho doctor said to let it go a few more days through the weekend and if by Monday he was still favoring it to take him in for an Xray. So on Monday that is just what we did. I took him in to "make sure" it was a bad sprain just like everyone had thought. BUT sure enough plain as day there was a full crack all the way through the bone. My heart sunk as I looked at the Xray with the doctor and I felt HORRIBLE that my cute little stud had been playing around for 10 DAYS with a broken arm. All we can say is... Calder you are the toughest man alive. Thanks for braving it out while your parents dragged their feet.



Well... if that's not enough... the story goes on... He has also had a cold over the last couple of days and hasn't wanted to eat or sleep that great. So I had the doctor check his ears... again just to "make sure" they were clear. Nope not at all. He also has a double ear infection. Could it get any worse for him... yep it does... as I was on the phone with Mikey telling him all the news on our way home from the doctor I'm watching Calder in the rear-view and he's looking pretty pale and all of a sudden everything came up and throw-up was all over the car. What is up with this day???

There have been LOTS of this... I have to say I am milking it up with all the cuddling. As evidence shows he is the most active little dude and can't ever stop for a moment. So the fact that all he wants to do today is have me right by his side hugging and asking me to "hold you". I will cherish every second that I can get.



We are all laughing about it now and Calder is back to his "pretty much" normal happy go lucky self. Laughing, smiling, running, jumping, climbing and chatting up a storm- telling us everything and anything that comes to his amazing little mind. When Mikey got home that night and saw Calder in the cast for the first time... he laughed and said, " it shouldn't look so normal to see him in a cast." We are prepared that there are likely many more stories to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment