Monday, March 16, 2009

Elder Tolbert Update

We thought this was particularly poignant

I was again afforded the opportunity to take the long 20 km trek to Manandona to go to church yesterday. Although the bike ride is long and rigorous. It always amazes me to see these humble people gather together on the side of a mountain and come unto the lord on his day. I usually don’t look forward to the ride there and back. Especially this week as I had decided to take my violin. So with my backpack full and my violin strapped onto my back. We took off early Sunday morning. The ride there is beautiful. Terraced rice paddies and mountains grace the road there and the vistas that are seen truly can take your breath away. We finally arrived at the top of the mountain about 45 minutes after setting off. We took a last little walk down the steep path to where the church had been built. I don’t know how much you can really call it a church. As it is just a fabric tent that has been pitched up for the people to meet in every week. We were greeted with firm handshakes and warm smiles as we welcomed ourselves into their little church. There are no Melchizedek Priesthood holders there so I and the other missionary conducted the meeting. As we started the first song, I noticed that it was unusually quiet as everyone sang the opening him. I glanced away from the hymn book long enough to find every ones eyes fixed on me in amazement. Watching every stroke and finger placed on my violin. I realized that for most of them this was the first time many of them had seen a violin. Let alone hear the sounds produced. I couldn’t help but smile and continue to play on as people looked at me wide eyed and with blank looks on their faces. Often times I forget where I actually am because it has all become home to me. It still boggles my mind to think that I am here in Madagascar. On this little island in the middle of the ocean. Half way around the globe from anything that I used to find common. But times like these afford me the opportunity to realize what an amazing journey I have began and all of the amazing memories that I have made.

As the meeting went on I was humbled to look down at the dirt floor and see the majority of people barefoot. Knowing that their weathered and battered feet carried them the miles and miles that it took to come to church on that beautiful Sunday morning. The gospel is true and it is being preached to every land and to all people. It is truly amazing to be apart of all of that.


3 comments:

Michelle said...

what a nice little update, and such a good message. Makes us realize how badly we take things for granted. What a great missionary!

Jane Durham said...

oh wow. it doesn't have to be the first time seeing a violin to be struck by his playing, a tall blonde in Madagascar nonetheless! Wish I could have been there. How amazing is it that he is among those people with the ties your family has to that corner of the world?

w and w said...

Talk about touching. It's amazing what music does, what a powerful experiece. What a great missionary he is!